Sunday, April 14, 2013

life on the moor

It's been more than a month now since my last move (it's the 4th home I've lived in since coming to England). I've meant to post about it sooner, but time, and a long to-do list have not allowed it. 

It's a dreamy place to live - a rambling old farmhouse plunked in the middle of the moor. The other day there were wild ponies in the long gravel drive leading to the house.  I have been itching to get out on the moor for a nice long walk. Sadly, the past few weekends have brought dismal weather, and I have been more or less house bound. I did sneak out last weekend in gale force winds to get just a few pictures...

 photo DSC_0037_zps37252aea.jpg

It's been so cold that there isn't much flowering except the gorse, but there is plenty of that! 

 photo DSC_0039_zpsfecf8ba8.jpg

The house itself is full of life, I share it with four other ladies, as well as their various dogs, cats and horses.

 photo DSC_0044_zps5d7a2ec4.jpg

Perhaps the most exciting and life-changing thing that has happened since moving into Exmoor Way is using the aga. I cooked polenta in the "top oven" last night and it came out creamy and delicious (had it with duck and plum sausages from the farmer's market!) Tonight, I'll be baking an oatmeal and stout cake in there...I'll find out which corner of the oven suits my favourite cake best!

 photo DSC_0004_zps7d5fb2bf.jpg

My little bedroom is bright and cozy, and has the most lovely view of the moor. I find myself staring at the moon and stars every night before bed.

 photo DSC_0250_zps934f58b5.jpg

 photo DSC_0041_zpsa081dfdf.jpg

I think I can safely say it is the most beautiful place I've ever lived in. I feel so lucky to be here, surrounded by wilderness and all things wonderful. I'm so looking forward to a summer of exploring the moor!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - such lovely pictures and a beautiful post! How wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty :)

    ReplyDelete