Thursday, May 31, 2012

Devon County Show






  As a massive fan of the Canadian Royal Winter Fair, I knew that the Devon County Show was not to be missed! Of course, this show was many times bigger than the little fair that I love so well, and it had plenty more of all my favourite things - cheese, ponies, honey, Barbour jackets and so on. I don't think anyone will be surprised to discover that I spent most of my time exploring the fresh local foods that were available...and enjoying some cider while I was at it! One very patriotic butcher made the lovely creation above - obviously a show highlight!



Oh right, and there were truck loads of sheep. I spent ages wandering around the sheep area taking pictures and talking to all the lovely critters (when people weren't looking so they didn't think I was nuts!) Obviously, I could not leave the fairgrounds without some wooly thing. This is what I came away with...



...10 balls of this lovely brown/black Shetland yarn grown right here in Devon! It's a DK weight, woolen spun fuzzy dream yarn! Delightful!

Another thrilling attraction at the fair was Cath Kidston's caravan. it's currently touring around England, and made a stop at the county show - lucky us!



It was mayhem in there, but I stuck it out and emerged with a very sweet pin and some postcards (I'm constantly in need of more these days - so many people to write to!). I especially like this mug, and may still pick one up for myself...



Undoubtedly, the best thing I tasted at the show was a scone with clotted cream and local honey. Anyone who knows me also knows about my honey...obsession. Anyway, this was amazing and life changing. Just look at those cool folks serving up the goods all day long. Bless em!



After a long, hot day of exploring I piled myself and all my goodies onto the bus and headed home. Any locals reading this, feel free to laugh - the buses here are terrifying!! They tear down the tiny country roads at warp speed! I clung desperately to my honey as we whirred around corners and down hills. Thankfully everything made it home safely, and I've been enjoying my loot ever since!



This guy knows what's important - the cider!

No comments:

Post a Comment